Sunday 17 April 2011

Dancers of the Sea!!


                       DAY 1

 So yesterday i headed to the Offshore expo day at All boat business(4 Hocking rd).
Had a great day with free refreshments and food (fresh dolphin fish, YUM!!!) as well as a 15% discount of everything except Team Daiwa rods!!!
So 180 dollars turns into bream lollies!!
YAY!! I had everything i needed, Vibes, Diving hards, Plastics and Surface lures. Now i go and test them out on my local Whiting. So on goes a  Zipbaits Tiny Popper ( i call my Surface Lures "Tiny Dancer"!!) and after a few casts i land my first Whiting for the day.


A Good start and I discovered how good the "Tiny Dancer" is. I love the way how you can Walk the Dog but still be able to pop with the same lure!! Very versatile!!




 Well i still had a swag of lures with me so on goes a Daiwa Gekkabijin 5F in Red. this is a great walk the dog lure and it nailed its first fish after a few casts. I discovered my inner marksman when i flung the "Tiny Dancer" into a flock of Seagulls only to pin one in the wing!! Now this thing went nuts!! it took three people to get it under control so i could pull the hooks out!! The Bird gave a squawk and flapped away. By now the fish have gone of the bite so the surface dancers and I head home.





DAY 2



 With the Dancers in hand i headed of once again. This time though i tied on a Cranka Crank in Pink Bit's. I tried for the Whiting to no avail and tried the "Tiny Dancers" as well. I tried for the ever so present herring but they weren't there either! Now i was wondering what was going on.
So i thought i may as well try and nail some Bream. I tied on a Damiki Vault 35 which looked the go in the overcast conditions. These lures work best with seductively slow lifts as there metal bodies produce a Vibration that Fish pick up on and find irresistible to resist, hence the nickname "Slow Dancer". I was experimenting with a few different retrieves when a Bait ball   about the size of three cars, rounds up into a corner of a Bridge. I instantly thought Tailor or Herring so in goes the "Slow" one. Just as i am about to lift the lure out of the water, two Bream zoom in after "Slowy" and my instant reaction is to drop the lure. This of course spooks the Fish. Well at least i know that there are some Fish worth pursuing here now. Next cast I flick it under a little jetty, right next to a Pylon. Perfect recipe for Bream!! The "Slow Dancer" makes it to the bottom. I start the retrieve with a flick and pause. I notice a big flash and i strike!! But no Fish.... "Slow Dancer" makes its next decent and as i go to flick my rod goes crazy as a good Fish goes under the jetty. The drag does its thing and i start to bring the beast out. another run and then it reveals itself. All glistening silver with a mottled black hue. Big blue lips with a Vault hanging out its mouth!! This fish is over a Kilogram and over 30cm!!(Which is big for me considering all my previous Bream have been 25cm MAX!!)
 The "Beast" hangs at the surface while i think of some way to pull him up the 4-5m wall in front of me. I decide to go for broke and belt it up to dry land!!
The Fish goes into the air and swings around, violating a Chinese guys bag that got a bit to close to the action!!
i get the Tape out and it pulls it back to 34cm!!
A new Personal Best!!!! I was so happy and the Fish was my first ever on a Blade!!!







The variety of "Dancers" performed in conjunction with each other to create invigorating and awe-inspiring moves to keep me entertained!!


                  Cheers, Callum......

3 comments:

  1. Great work Callum. Keep it up! Some very nice fish there

    Cheers
    Hamish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great fishing lures. You should check my fishing gear collections too just right here: Live For Outdoors

    ReplyDelete